Wednesday, October 2, 2013

It's Hard Work To Be a Missionary in Italy ;)

Look at what Ilaria made! She's the best!
I love Rimini. Everyday I love it more and more. I wish I could stay here with these wonderful people for the rest of my life. Really.

Friday night we had an activity with the branch. We've been planning it for a few weeks to give members the opportunity to bring friends to the church. Emilio decided they were going to have a bake-off and the missionaries would be the judges. Of course we weren't complaining. Here's what he forgot to tell us; we would be sitting in front of everyone while we were judging. Fratello Draghi and Alan would bring in the cakes, walk them around the room so everyone could see them, and then bring them to us. We were sitting on a stand in front of everyone. It was just the slightest bit awkward, but the branch loved it! They went all out too. Our dear Ilaria made a Book of Mormon cake. 

It's hard work to be a missionary in Italy.
We had a few members bring friends. It was so much fun to get to talk to them afterwards. Our members really are the best. They were explaining the church to their friends and inviting them to meet with us. We've already met with one of them, and we're setting up appointments for the rest of the week. 

Fratello Draghi was our torta model. He does good work.
I have some exciting news! I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to share this. I hope so . . . Anyway, right before this transfer, I was talking to Emilio and he told us he was asked to find a new apartment in Rimini . . . for Anziani! We've been hoping he'd find one this transfer, so we could have Anziani the next. He hadn't really been having much luck though. Last night, he said he found one! He has to go back and take pictures for the office, but hopefully it will all work out. In two weeks, we might be welcoming two Anziani to Rimini. This city needs them because the majority of our investigators are men. I'm just hoping I'm still here next transfer. I'm not too worried about it because there's nothing I can do and it's still two weeks away. All I know is I want to be here for four transfers. Or five. Or the rest of my mission. 

Hardest decision we've ever made.
When our members want to have a bake off, they go all out.
Here's my miracle for the week. I was on scambio with Sorella Hoppe. She's a cute sister from Germany. We were walking back to the apartment when we looked up and said hi to a woman on her balcony. When we asked her how she was doing, she didn't answer at first. Then she said, "Venite, venite" and buzzed us in. WHAT? We ran up stairs, and she pulled me into her arms. That's unusual . . . we sat down with her, prayed, and then asked if we could share a scripture with her. Her answer? "Of course, let me go grab my Book of Mormon." Again, WHAT? Turns out this sweet woman met with the missionaries a year ago. She's going through a hard time, and now she really wants the gospel. The next day, I came back with Sorella Strong and invited this sweet woman to be baptized. She said yes. I don't know how to express my love for her. She's absolutely incredible. I'm not sure if she understands everything we say, but she understands the spirit. That's pretty much all you can ask for. This woman's name is Milagros, and that's exactly what she is.

I love you all. I have a favor to ask of those of you who write/email me. This week, will you try to find a miracle everyday? Then, tell me about them. I promise if you're really searching, you'll find them. I know the Lord is blessing all of you. Thank you for being wonderful.

All of my love, Always
Sorella Ellen Rose Ervin
So I live in Italy, which means I see things like this
everyday. I love it!

My companion gets to wear my old helmet.
Poor girl.


Spumoni doesn't really exist here. That's okay, though.
At our favorite little gelateria, they make it for me.

Emilio and Ilaria are basically my parents here in Rimini.
Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment