Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Coincidence? No such thing.

Have you ever wanted to learn the accordion? Me neither. But according to Romeo it's my secret desire. It's ok though, because he taught me how to play a little bit. 






We went to visit Jane and Romeo for lunch last week. Jane is probably one of the best cooks I've ever met; she’s also one of the sweetest people in the world. They live in a cute little town about an hour's train ride away from here. We have to switch trains twice to get there, and then we have a 20-minute car ride. Worth it. 




After lunch, we shared a message about happiness. Romeo was just excited we were there so he could teach us to play the accordion and the xylophone. He's a great teacher; we're going to be famous. 



Monday night, I received the best little surprise in the world. Sorella Vardeu called to ask something and then she said, "Someone here wants to talk to you." I waited and heard a voice say, "Pronto." BOLLWINKEL! We didn't get to talk for very long, but it was such a needed little blessing. 

Ok, so remember how we met the woman on the train and then met her the next day. Well, I received an email from Victor. Turns out, a few weeks ago he was talking to one of our English students who was telling him about this woman whose son was in a motorcycle accident. It's the same woman! 

So I was talking to Stefano last night, and he said he'd tell her hello for us. As we were walking out of the class, he said it was such a coincidence. I laughed. He asked me if I believe in coincidences. Of course; they happen. I might wear the same shirt as someone else, and we show up to the same place. Coincidence. But the fact that we met this woman, twice, and then Victor read my blog and knew exactly whom I was talking about, and that this woman works for Stefano's grandmother . . . . you can call it coincidence if you want. You can say Vercelli's just a small town. But I don't buy that.

God's truly in control. He's guiding us in everything we say and do, even if we don't always recognize it. Most of the time, what we choose to attribute to coincidence is the Spirit. How blessed we are that God cares enough about our lives to guide us. Think about that for a minute. Out of all the people in the world, he chooses to give you inspiration and guidance. That peace you felt after you made a difficult decision, when you came to terms with the death of a loved one, when you held your child for the first time, when you went to church, when you read the scriptures, when you prayed . . . it was from him. It would be impossible to do this work without the help of God. That guidance is there for everyone; we just have to choose to follow it. 

I love you. Each week I appreciate you all more and more. Thank you for being a part of my life.

Vi Voglio Bene

Sorella Ellen Rose Ervin

Celebrating Sorella Walch's 9 months!
Just the best surprise we've ever gotten. Thanks, Chris!

Looking like our best selves after a long day.



No comments:

Post a Comment