Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Reason for Everything

This week has really reminded me that everything happens for a reason. I know that we as missionaries are placed in specific cities and specific times because we are meant to be here. We don't always understand why, but when we can acknowledge the hand of God in our lives, we have more strength. 

At the zone conference, Anziano Fuller gave me a letter for Victor, so I was able to see Victor Friday. He's pretty much one of my favorite people on the planet, and I forgot how much I loved talking to him. Here's the deal with Victor: he has an incredible talent. He can take any subject and bring it back to God. He has an uncanny ability to find lessons in daily life. I don't even know how he does it, but I love speaking to him about anything and everything. I always learn something new, true story.

Monday night we were able to go visit Marcella. I love being inside that house; it's almost like being home. There is a love in that home that enfolds you as soon as you enter. I'm so grateful for every moment I am able to spend with this perfect family. Marcella is wonderful; she pulled out a box of old letters and names. She has kept a list of everyone she has every shared the Gospel with and copies of letters she has sent to people. It was such a sacred moment to look through these records. Her testimony is amazing ,and I was brought to tears as I read some of these letters.

We had dinner with her and Salvatore. They weren't planning on us being there, so they didn't have anything in the house. We ate leftovers. I don't know why this meant so much to me; I think it might be because I just felt like I was with my own family, pulling random food out of the refrigerator, trying to make a full meal out of bits of things. I don't believe there are perfect people (other than Christ, of course) perfect places, or perfect almost anything. I do, however, believe there are perfect moments. I think we pass opportunities for perfect moments by and we don't take the time to notice them. They're little moments, full of love, peace, joy, and every good emotion in the world. This was one of those moments. How grateful I am for these little examples of God's love.

My heart broke a little this week. I'm not going to lie, it's been harder to hope, to keep moving forward. But then I asked one of our members how she was doing. "Andiamo avanti" is always her response. She's facing a lot of trials and yet she still has hope everything will always work out if she just keeps moving forward, just keeps following God.

At first I wasn't sure why I was placed in Vercelli. It wasn't that I didn't like it, because I love Vercelli with all of my heart. These people are so important to me. I just didn't know why I was chosen to have the wonderful opportunity to serve here. Why was I so blessed? I knew God had a plan, but I couldn't see what it was. I didn't know how I could find people to help. Well, maybe I wasn't put here to help anyone specific; I don't think I was put here because I have an extraordinary gift that will help all of these people. I think I was put here because I needed them. The members in Vercelli have changed my life. Investigators in Vercelli have also changed my life. I look at the world in a much different way then I did four months ago. I'm a better missionary then I was four months ago; I'm a better person.

Vi voglio bene!

Sorella Ellen Rose Ervin

Victor has become one of my best friends!

Nick came to Vercelli on Sunday. I love surprises!


There is a Chinese car company in Novara. Please look closely at the picture of a wall on their logo. The Anziani always talk about it, so every time we see something that reminds us of it, we get a little too excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment