Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Fun and Miracles and . . . a Little More Rain

This last week has been truly amazing. Literally, we have had so much fun, and we've also seen so many miracles. But don't worry; my normal awkward moments remain always.

This is us. These are Grazia's clothes and shoes.
Last Wednesday it started raining as we were leaving Torino, but it wasn't that bad. We went home for about five minutes, and it stopped raining. Our next appointment wasn't really far away, so we decided not to take an umbrella or a jacket. WE CHOSE WRONG. It started sprinkling as we walked to the bus stop and by the time we were at the bus stop it was raining pretty hard. Don't worry the bus came quickly. That doesn't really help us though because when we got off the bus we had to walk up the hill in Rivoli. It's about a ten-minute walk to Grazia's house. IT WAS POURING. Kind of like walking through a lake, let me tell you. A river was running down the hill, and we had to walk through it . . . there's not usually a river there. It took us about 20 minutes in all the rain, and by the time we got there not a single part of me or my clothes were dry. Grazia didn't answer the door . . . but the man at the bar told us to come stand in, and he tried to dry us off. Then Grazia answered her phone, and we were able to go up. As we turned the corner of the stairs her face just dropped, and she ran away to find us towels. But her generosity didn't end there. She found us clothes. Let me just say, she is very short and the dress she gave me didn't work out so much. But we were a little warmer at least. We weren't too embarrassed because she was the only one home, but after a little while, her husband, three sons, and three grandsons were all there. Awkward anyone? She fed us hot chocolate, and then she and her son Alessandro gave us a ride home. As we were going downstairs, Alessandro stopped and forced us to let him take a picture. Then he told me I looked like a hippie. Good. 

Thursday we had a super great lesson with Angely. I love her; she's for sure one of the raddest people I know. Also, we decided my last p-day in Italy, she'll cut my hair and do our nails. Miracle. Rest assured I won't look like a complete wreck when I come home. Bless her. 

On our way to the station we met a really interesting woman. She wanted to know who we were, but when she found out she was a little freaked out. She doesn't like Mormons. It was a miracle in disguise, because we had the opportunity to testify that the Church is true. We talked to her for over an hour. In the end, she wanted to "save" us. She didn't understand how two young, intelligent girls could be so misled. It's because we're not misled. I know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true Church of Christ restored on the earth. I know the Book of Mormon is true. There is nothing more beautiful that this knowledge. We were able to remember that on Thursday. 

We had a sweet activity at the church Sunday. We went at 5 p.m., played games for a while, and then had dinner together. I spent the first two hours walking around with our cute little two-year-old honorary missionary. Mostly she just liked watching the anziani play soccer. But then Sorella Russell and I played soccer with the cutest 8-year-old in the whole world. We had so much fun! Okay, he destroyed us, but in our defense we were wearing skirts. This activity will happen twice a month now . . . the ward gave us permission to wear pants. Good call. 

Yesterday we were finally able to see a woman we've been trying to visit for a while. It just never seems to work out. But she invited us over for dinner with a friend. He's also really cool. During dinner we all just talked a lot, about everything. He was impressed with our Italian . . . doesn't seem like a big deal, but it makes us feel good about ourselves. However when the lesson started he changed, he became so intent, so willing to understand. When we gave him a Book of Mormon he was so touched, because he hadn't expected it. It was an incredible experience, and we're so excited to go again. 

I love you all so much. This week I have my final transfer call day. Won't miss that! I can't wait to find out what will happen this last transfer; I know it will be perfect. 


Vi voglio bene!

Walking around paesini [villages], my favorite activity,


The cookies the Anziani mad us (see last week's post).

Everyone told me my shoe obsession would go down on my mission . . .  I think they forgot I'm serving in Italy.


My beautiful district.


Represent!

I love Italy!

Today we ate pizza, in a piazza, while an Italian played the accordion.

No comments:

Post a Comment