Wednesday, June 4, 2014

How Many People Have I Made Happy Today?

This week I fell in love with members even more. Each Sunday we choose a few members and take them a plate of banana bread, brownies, or something. We're just trying to get to know them a little better. One day we went to see one of the sorelle in the ward. She's super sweet, and as we arrived she had just started making fritters. We helped her a little and then two of her friends stopped by for a while. We talked with them and then when they left she gave them a huge plate of fritters. A couple minutes later, the vescovo [bishop] stopped by. Before he left she made him take a huge plate as well. Throughout the afternoon she forced us to eat about a thousand. As Vescovo left she turned to us with a huge smile and said, “Sorelle, how many people have we made happy today?” I was so touched by her love for others and her desire to make them happy.

As we were walking away from another family's house after dropping off a treat, Sorella Russell turned to me and asked, “Sorella, how many people have we made happy today?” It's become the question I ask myself at the end of each day. Our role as missionaries is to help others find true joy. We can do that in a variety of ways. There is nothing better then helping someone to be a little happier. I feel so blessed to be a part of this work. It truly is amazing. 

Miracle! We went to visit a less-active member, but she didn't live there anymore. Her mother gave us her new number though, and we have an appointment for later this week. ALSO, we were able to teach her mother, and she's now an investigator. It's amazing how people are prepared at different times. This woman is truly one of the sweetest I've ever met. She called us to tell us she found her Book of Mormon she received years ago. How adorable!

Sunday we went to Grazia's house to have lunch with her family. Alessandro made us cupcakes!

Speaking of wonderful American food, we ate the most amazing burgers today. Literally . . . they were incredible. There is a tiny little burger shop in Torino a member told the other sisters about. I have never been so happy to eat meat. You all know I'm not the biggest fan, but let me tell you it was like being in America. 

I'm really excited for this weekend. We have stake conference. Besides the fact I'm overjoyed because it's transmitted from the states and President Uchtdorf will be speaking, it means that I might be able to see some of my members from Vercelli Saturday night. I'm so excited! 

We were able to spend some time with one of our members and her little girl this week when we went with her to visit a less-active member. We went with her for her work though. It's so cool . . . she sells something called the Magic Cooker. I'm obsessed with it and I want it for my kitchen. It's this amazing cover for all of your pans that changes the way you can cook. Literally you can cook anything on the stove, and it tastes amazing. It makes everything way faster too. She made us tons of food on the stove . . . including pizza. It was really great to have a low-key way to meet some of our less-active members. 

Also, the little girl is just the sweetest. She told her mom she wanted a little sister and when her mom asked what they would call her, she said, Sorella Ervin. Hahaha. Also, her mom called us this morning and she was asking to talk to us. Her mom gave her the phone, and she just smiled and giggled. Later as her mom hung up she just started yelling our names. She has a cute little future missionary tag, and she always asks if we can come home with them. When we told her there wasn't enough space in the car, she said, that's okay, Daddy can walk. I love her.

It's been a truly great week. I'm exhausted, but I think that's how you know it was good. We've really been able to get to know our members more. More than that, we've been able to find little ways to help others find joy. I hope you each get to have that blessing this week. 

Con tutto il mio cuore
[With all my heart]

Sorella Ervin

[PS - Ellen had pictures this week, but didn't have time to download them as she had to leave early to catch a train. Check back next week for more pics.]

No comments:

Post a Comment